Open Records Forms:
Occupational Tax Certificates (Business License)
Franklin County issues Occupational Tax Certificates to applicable businesses, trades, professions, or occupations operating in the unincorporated area of the County (the areas of the County not within city limits), to promote enforcements of ordinances that promote the health, safety, and general welfare of the public. An Occupational Tax Certificate must be applied for if a product or service is exchanged for compensation, no matter how large or small the business, whether operated from your home or a commercial location. An occupational tax certificate, commonly referred to as a business license, is a certificate issued by government agencies. The certificate is evidence that an individual or company has paid an occupational tax as required by the local ordinance. The occupational tax levied is for revenue purposes only and is not for regulatory purposes, nor is the payment of the tax made a condition precedent to the practice of any such profession, trade or calling.
All certificates are issued on a calendar year basis and will always expire on December 31st of each year. Certificates must be renewed by January 1st of each year to remain active and valid.
Under state statute, the Franklin is required to have on record the number of employees of your business. The number of employees, as computed on a full-time position equivalent basis, provided that for the purposes of this computation, an employee who works 40 hours or more weekly shall be considered a full-time employee and that the average weekly hours of employees who work less than 40 hours shall be divided by 40 to produce a full-time equivalent.
For additional information regarding this tax, definition, and requirements, please refer to the Occupational Tax Ordinance. (add link-Occupational Tax Ordinance PDF)
Occupational Tax Certificate Fee: $35
All applications will be reviewed for compliance with the Zoning Regulations of Franklin County.
Please return the downloadable application, along with any state license you may have, to the address below:
- Completed occupational tax application ______
- Completed alarm system information if applicable ______
- Completed E-Verify information (the one related to your business) ______
- Copy of LLC paperwork if applicable ______
- State license if applicable ______
- Picture ID__________
- Fee of $35.00_________
If you are a current approved business the section below contains downloadable files to update your current information:
- Affidavit Verifying Legal Status- PDF Link
- E-Verify Document Franklin County – PDF Link
- Emergency & Public Safety Form- PDF Link
- Exemption From Federal Work Authorization Program E-Verify Affidavit
- Franklin County Public Safety Form – 911 Business Alarm Contact Information Sheet
- Federal Work Authorization Program E-Verify Affidavit
- Occupation Tax Complete Application
- Occupational Tax Application Form Franklin County- PDF Link
- Occupational Tax Ordinance – PDF Link
Please visit Chamber of Commerce for Economic Development information: https://www.franklin-county.com/mission-overview.php